Thursday, March 3, 2011

The 2011 Line-up

     In January I had the life changing experience of connecting with the kids at the Flying Kites Orphanage-Kenya .  Over the last 6 years I've run marathons and raised $50,000+ for charities such as Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation, Brown Dog Foundation and Michael Carter Lislow Respite Center.  Each experience was AMAZING.  Not only have I made life long friends, I knew the money I raised was always going to a GoodCause.  There was just one thing missing, I had never made a true connection with the "end user" of my fundraising dollars.  When I traveled to Kenya in January, got out of the van at the orphanage, and was greeted with a huge hug from Lucy Obama I knew I had found my charitable work.  I was seeking adventure, but I found my purpose.  WE ARE FLYING KITES!!! 

This year my plan is to raise awareness for Flying Kites by completing one crazy adventure after the next, roping friends and family members in along the way.  Here's the 2011 Line-up...

January-  Mt. Kilimanjaro
February- TRAIN!!!! Marathon Fitness
March- Oak Mountain 50k+ Birmingham, AL
April-  Big Sur Marathon
May- Bear Mountain Trail Marathon (yes, the weekend after Big Sur)
June- Bike to Bonaroo- stay tuned for details, this is going to be my fundraiser for the year!!!
July- Bike the Natchez Trace in 2 days (last year we did it in 6)
August- Surf for the Cause- Nicaragua
September- TRAIN!!! Marathon Fitness
October- This is the mystery month, there are a few options but a decision hasn't been made
November-  Aconcagua
December-  CELEBRATE!!!!!

1 comment: